Check Website
Inclusion Status
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Step-by-Step Instructions to Edit WIN 8.1 Hostfile?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:31 am 
Site Admin

Ah oks. Cheers for the heads up :)

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:52 am 

Thank you for your help and for stopping me from entering the site I want to block IP address and inviting them to hang out on my computer. Unfortunely I didn't know that when I tried to use Hostman to block the intrusive ads I was seeing in my web browser and start screen apps. So that explains why the website's IP followed the domain name were red in hostman, I blamed my homepage not loading on enabling to many lists, and I thought it was a false positive when Windows Defender flagged hostman. I can't believe I was dumb enough to invite those sites to come check out my computer. I hope when I refreshed my computer back to it's condition before hostman, (I downloaded, installed, setup, was flagged by WD, and uninstalled the same day) wiped out anything that might have come through, didn't have time to. Maybe it's also to blame for the 8 tracking cookies Hitman Pro found last night, in Mozilla Firefox files I shouldn't have because I had the browser for only a day and uninstalled it last week. Then today I scanned with Super Anti-spyware and that found 388 tracking cookies in all my gaming apps and probably more. I also thought the reason I couldn't block lax1.ib.adnxs com (adnexus net) and it's multiple cousins was because I had to put all 200+ hostnames, IP PTR name, and IPOR PTR name. Which thx to you I put them in right this time but I quit when I saw all those names. Oh well you leave and you learn, hopefully I'm not still learning because those scans didn't get them all or the found their way back in. Thank you for helping me, I appreciate it.

IP:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:17 am 
Site Admin

No problem at all

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:06 pm 

Should I be concerned about this? I just finished tweeking my hosts block list and also installed Unchecky and that added to the hosts list to block PUP's. Windows Defender just notified me of a possible threat on my computer because it was trying to modify host settings. I know it wasn't a false positive because of Unchecky because I let WD get rid of the program, and Unchecky is still on my desktop and in hosts file. In hosts file I noticed that a site I blocked is missing from my list. My question is, did the PUP use WD to alert me so I would clear it off my block list in hosts, or was the alert real and WD eliminated the PUP? I only asking because it seems odd to me because why would WD's realtime protection remove a possible threat from the system that's helping it to block threats?

IP:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Not everything that claims to help stop malicious content, is actually free of malicious content itself ;)

In this case, it's likely Windows Defender is doing its job properly and it wasn't a false positive, but you can check its log to be sure. To do so, load Windows Defender and click the History tab.

Attachment:
imgWindowsDefender-ViewThreats.png
imgWindowsDefender-ViewThreats.png [ 72.56 KiB | Viewed 2032 times ]

/edit

I've checked Unchecky myself, and am not seeing anything malicious, so if WD was detecting Unchecky itself, it is an F/P. The Windows Defender logs will allow determination as far as the specifics go.

Keeping it FREE!

IP: