Check Website
Inclusion Status
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Step-by-Step Instructions to Edit WIN 8.1 Hostfile?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:43 am 

I'm not computer savvy, so I easily become paranoid while handling tasks on my computer that I'm going to mess it up. So I'm hoping someone here can give me step-by-step instructions on how to edit my hostfile. I have already tried using hostman but when I added a list to it I couldn't load any sites in Internet Explorer 11. I removed the list and just added the few sites/content providers I wanted to block, IE 11 was back to normal but Windows Defender flag hostman as a medium threat due to the changes being made to hostfile. So I removed the program to be on the safe side. When I did that I had issues again with the internet because hostman didn't back up my hostfile even though I checked the box for create back-up during it's installation. I refreshed my computer back to a date before the hostman install. So now I think it would be easier to just tweek the hostfile myself, especially since I only want to block these ads desktopad.com, va.sndcdn.com, laxl.ib.adnxs.com, s.ppjol.net, compute-amazonaws.com, and of course addoubleclick.net. These have caused lagging when they load, are just plain annoying with flashing and shaking, use tracking, and have the potential to be malicious because due to association with shady domains and IPs. Instructions can start from here because I not sure of the exact meaning of backing up the hostfile before beginning. Do I back it up on a CD/DVD disk, USB drive? Or just simply copy and paste the info into notepad or something and save it on my computer incase I want to go back to it later? And to put it back I would delete the current and copy & paste the original back? Thank you for your time.

IP:
 Post subject: Re: Step-by-Step Instructions to Edit WIN 8.1 Hostfile?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

You can back up the file to any location or media you like :)

With respect to editing, the easiest method of doing it by hand is;

1. Click Start
2. In the Run/Search box, type:

cmd

3. When cmd.exe shows in the result, right click it and select;

"Run as Administrator"

Attachment:
imgcmdwindow.png
imgcmdwindow.png [ 33.39 KiB | Viewed 1655 times ]

4. Enter the following;

Code:
notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Attachment:
imgcmdwindow_hosts.png
imgcmdwindow_hosts.png [ 27.51 KiB | Viewed 1655 times ]

5. Make the desired changes, and click File -> Save

As an aside, the detection Windows Defender gave for HostsMan was a false positive ;)

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:06 pm 

Thank you for your reply. I also need to know the correct way to enter in the IPs and domain names. Do I put my local IP the space domain, or is it the sites IP then the domain, and what do you do if the domain name has more then one IP?

IP:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:16 pm 

I forgot to added, when I open hostfile if I see a domain in it that's allowed but I want it blocked, do I simply highlight it with it's IP and click delete to remove it? Then enter it on a block line?

IP:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:04 am 

I did it, thank you so much. Desktopad's banner is still on the side of the screen but it's blank with one of those circle's with spinning dots to show loading. Nothing loads and that is sweet. I have only one question left. I got the names of the ad publishers by pulling the plug out of my modem and then clicked the banner ads. One of the ads had this address lax1.ib.adnxs.com after I blocked that one then showed up with this address nym1.ib.adnxs.com. I'm assuming they are from the same company and that there are probably more addresses with the first part of the address is different put the adnxs.com part remains the same. My question is, what is the best way to block a company like this. Do I enter only the adnxs.com part and that will block all of them no matter what's put before the adnxs.com? Or do I have to put the adnxs.com into your search engine and take all the slightly different names and add them to host file? Which ever one it is, would it be a rule of thumb to handle all companies with multiple tweeked names the same? Also, say for example one those ads I just blocked is adware, would me computer stay infected even though it's blocked? Last but not least, Thank you, thank you, thank you, you have given me relief of frustration because I was waiting for the app owners to tell assist me with those ads and they did or haven't yet. And relief from paranoia, when ever I see a cheesy looking ad that is vague in description of the product or service being advertised, flashes & shakes, doesn't fit the banner space, shows what I just searched online, or opens my internet browser to a side-by-side view of the app and shopping sites with 2 more tabs in hidden address bar in IE every time it loads. All of that reminds of malware and all the trials & tribulations it took to get it off my computer. I won't say the companies name because they were hacked, but they did reply to my contact and notified me that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Sorry so long but I promise I'm done and won't happen again. Thank you for your time. May many blessings come your way.

IP:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:01 pm 

I need help, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I block one but I can't block this one below which is exactly how it looks in my notepad host file.
127.0.0.1 hxxp://www.lax1.ib.adnxs.com
127.0.0.1 hxxp://www.float.2526.bm-impbus.prod.lax1.adnexus.net
127.0.0.1 hxxp://www.nym1.ib.adnxs.com
127.0.0.1 hxxp://www.float.2208.bm-impbus.prod.nym2.adnexus.net
That is the short version of how I put those in the host file, lax1. has 8 more float. listed and nym1. also has 8 more float. listed. Did I put them on the list right or was I suppose to shorten the host names with float in the beginning?

Last edited by NickVini on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disabled live links

IP:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Caramello222 wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I also need to know the correct way to enter in the IPs and domain names. Do I put my local IP the space domain, or is it the sites IP then the domain, and what do you do if the domain name has more then one IP?

If you're trying to block them, you don't add the sites IP (adding the sites IP will have the opposite effect - it'll explicitly allow access to it).

The format is;

0.0.0.0{SOT}{HOSTNAME}

Where SOT is a space or a tab, and hostname is the hostname you want to block. e.g.;

Code:
0.0.0.0 bbc.co.uk

Or;

Code:
127.0.0.1 bbc.co.uk

127.0.0.1 is the standard, but may conflict if a local proxy or server is running.

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Caramello222 wrote:
I forgot to added, when I open hostfile if I see a domain in it that's allowed but I want it blocked, do I simply highlight it with it's IP and click delete to remove it? Then enter it on a block line?

You can either remove it, or add a # at the beginning of the line. However, note, entries preceeded by 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 are blocked, not allowed.

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Caramello222 wrote:
I need help, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I block one but I can't block this one below which is exactly how it looks in my notepad host file.
127.0.0.1 hxxp://www.lax1.ib.adnxs.com
127.0.0.1 hxxp://www.float.2526.bm-impbus.prod.lax1.adnexus.net
127.0.0.1 hxxp://www.nym1.ib.adnxs.com
127.0.0.1 hxxp://www.float.2208.bm-impbus.prod.nym2.adnexus.net
That is the short version of how I put those in the host file, lax1. has 8 more float. listed and nym1. also has 8 more float. listed. Did I put them on the list right or was I suppose to shorten the host names with float in the beginning?

You shouldn't be putting the protocol in. Instead, it should be;

Code:
127.0.0.1 www.lax1.ib.adnxs.com
 127.0.0.1 www.float.2526.bm-impbus.prod.lax1.adnexus.net
 127.0.0.1 www.nym1.ib.adnxs.com
 127.0.0.1 www.float.2208.bm-impbus.prod.nym2.adnexus.net

If they have more than one (e.g. lax1-lax8), you need to add an entry for all of them. Hosts files do not allow or support, wildcard, regex etc.

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:57 am 

Hi, Caramello222, next time, please enable "Do not automatically parse URLs" function before you post addresses beginning with "www", to avoid possibly untrusted links you post being clickable.

Steven, my fault, the "hxxp" was added by me, Caramello222 has specified addresses correctly, but protocol was added in the text box because of presence of the "www" when I edited the post (I should be not automatically parsing URL's instead).

IP: