Check Website
Inclusion Status
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Snake oil: PC Speed Up
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:09 am 

Hi guys.

While browsing internet today I came across another "PC cleaner" named PC Speed Up, and decided to test it. This program is distributed as commercial paid software, the official site of this program is: pcspeedup.com

I downloaded and ran this program inside of fresh-installed Windows Vista 32-bit.

Here is the main screen of this program (after first start):

Clicked the green "START SCAN" button to start scan process. Scan has taken not too long, about 2 minutes.

Here are details of what problems were found:

According to PC Speed UP, 91 items are slowing down my computer. As you can see on the screenshot, this program uses scare tactics saying that user has something harmful in system when it is not true. I remind, this test is performed on a clean and fresh-installed operating system - there are NO any items that need immediate removal, these 91 items are nothing than just little bunch of harmless files and registry keys.

After I clicked "FIX PROBLEMS" button, I was unexpectedly asked to either register the copy of "PC Speed UP" program or close the application. This is bad, because paid software should allow users to test ALL its functionality before making decision to either buy it or not, simply put: users need to know what they are paying money for! This is also misleading, because when I click the button named "FIX" I expect something to be fixed, but actually as a result I meet to something irrelevant.

To register this software product I need to purchase the activation key from pcspeedup.com site. Personally, I do not want to purchase a product that tries to scare me, and definitely would not recommend anyone to do that.

When I close the windows of this program it again asks me to purchase the key. This is irritating = that way the program is behaving just as an adware.

One more thing that in my opinion is utter nonsense - the program has option to start automatically with Windows, which means it cannot do anything of worth, but will start automatically every time just to show you scare messages and try to make you pay money for nothing. Good thing - you can disable it, remove from your PC and forget.

Summary: this program is not recommended, because this is simply an adware, scareware, snake oil that will not give any benefit for your computer. Avoid please.

IP:
 Post subject: Re: Snake oil: PC Speed Up
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:25 am 

Nick, Do you have a url where you grabbed the file from?

IP:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:10 am 

Spudz wrote:
Nick, Do you have a url where you grabbed the file from?

Yes, I do.

Code:
Download URL:
hxxp://www.pcspeedup.it/downloads/download.aspx?referencedWebsite=pcspeedup.com&language=en

Takes me to (download path):
hxxps://www.wifiprotector.com/downloads/response.aspx?&requestId=508cf76505464ccd86cb54127fb99ab5&encodedInstallerPath=QzpcaW5ldHB1Ylx3d3dyb290XHByenlzcGllc3prb21wdXRlclxkb3dubG9hZHMvcGNzcGVlZHVwLmV4ZQ==&edition=

File name is: pcspeedup_508cf76505464ccd86cb54127fb99ab5_.exe

This is where I grabbed file from.

IP:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:46 am 

Cheers :)

IP: