Check Website
Inclusion Status
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Large HOSTS file + DNS Client service = faster machine!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:24 am 
Retired wrote:
Soultrain wrote:
@ retired

Just out of curiosity, I ran Spybot, to see what it would say about the hosts file entries... guess what? It went crazy. Wouldn't even perform a scan to the system. Kept saying the scan was cancelled by the user. Shocked Very Happy

Oh oh, the games begin! Laughing I don't use Spybot, but there is nothing wrong with the format of the new HOSTS file. It follows the convention described on this page:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/topic/com.ibm.aix.files/doc/aixfiles/hosts.htm
So, I suppose you could make a post on their forums and ask for a program update??
http://forums.spybot.info/

In any case, thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
Retired

I know there's nothing wrong with the format of the HOSTS file. Hostman didn't find any errors on it and still finds the very same 140.XXX entries that I am blocking.

My HOSTS file has near 7MB and after applying your idea it got nearly 3MB if I well recall.

I guess I will contact Spybot folks... so that they can update their app to accept this specific Hosts file format.

Best regards

IP:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

I received the following from "Chris" via e-mail, who for whatever reason, didn't want to register on the forums.

Quote:
in the thread forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=684 there's an error. the unpacked awk interpretor file from the link www.klabaster.com/progs/mawk32.zip is named mawk.exe and not mawk32.exe as written in the batchfile code-box. thus the whole thing doesn't work. without the '32' of course it does. I want to know what happend to my system by using SC START DNSCache and ipconfig /displaydns with an empty (result of mawk32.exe) hosts-file, it took MANY minutes!! Please post this in the thread, should be for all, who've done it stupidly like I did, without reading what to paste in before. please understand that I didn't want to register, that's why my email isn't in this as well.

He is correct about the mawk executable's name, and thus it appears incorrect in the previously posted instructions on usage. However, in answer to his other questions;

1. I want to know what happend to my system by using SC START DNSCache and ipconfig /displaydns with an empty (result of mawk32.exe) hosts-file

SC START DNSCache, instructs Windows to start the DNSCache windows service. ipconfig /displaydns launches a command prompt and displays the current DNS cache. Doing this with a full HOSTS file, would show all of the entries in the hosts file, in the DNS cache. With an empty hosts file, it would display nothing.

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:14 am 
Thanks, Steve (and Chris).

I have edited that post and changed mawk32 to mawk.

Retired

IP:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:52 am 
Site Admin

No worries Smile

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:48 am 

What happens when you try to put more than nine hostnames on the same line? Why not just put all of the hostnames to be blocked on the same line? Does the DNS Client choke on more aliases per line?

IP:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

I've never actually tried.

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:52 pm 

MysteryFCM wrote:
I've never actually tried.
I just did, and it turns out that Microsoft DNS does not recognize more than 9 aliases per line (the first 9 work but not any of the rest), so the HostsMan implementation of HOSTS optimization, as discovered in this very thread, is optimal.

IP:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:21 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for letting me know :) (knew there was a reason for it, but couldn't recall what it was)

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:31 am 

I just tested to see how many entries my DD-WRT router (which runs a minimalist Linux distribution with BusyBox) could handle per line, and it turns out to be 24; I'm using the following script to convert a long-form list to the optimized version (JScript on Windows)...
Code:
var fso,s,f,i;
function convert(inf,out,bh,lim){
 fso=new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
 if(!fso.FileExists(inf))return;
 s=fso.OpenTextFile(file=inf,1);
 f=fso.CreateTextFile(file=out,true);
 while(!s.AtEndOfStream){
  f.Write(bh);
  for(i=0;i<lim && !s.AtEndOfStream;i++){
   f.Write(" "+s.readLine().replace("0.0.0.0 ",""));
  }
  f.Write("\n");
 }
 s.Close();
 f.Close();
}
convert("hosts.txt","hostslt.txt","0.0.0.0",24);
convert("hostsu","hostsc","0.0.0.0",24);
convert("hostsbkp","hosts","0.0.0.0",9);
convert("hostsbk","hostslt","192.168.1.254",9);
This is just as an example; the first use of convert() is for an on-router hosts file for smaller DD-WRT routers, the next is for larger DD-WRT routers that can handle a full-sized HOSTS file, the third is for computers with no router-based site-blocking, and the last is for computers that use those smaller DD-WRT routers with the pixelserv setup mentioned here: https://code.google.com/p/jansal/wiki/H ... mendations

I might actually make yet more variants on this theme by composing variants of "hostsbkp" and "hostsbk" for Unix-like computers with 24 hostnames per line instead of 9, if I can determine that the limit for all of these platforms is indeed 24...

...well actually dnsmasq doesn't seem to have a hard limit (after checking the source code, documentation, and mailing list), but after I tried increasing the cache size and using 8728 hostnames per line, the first line went through fine but the next lines had problems, so I think I'll stick with 24 per line, where it all still works and the marginal benefit to increasing hostnames per line is rather small.

IP:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for letting me know :)

Keeping it FREE!

IP: