Check Website
Inclusion Status
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: April 2015 - 2 competitions, 3 prizes!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

I thought I'd try something new for the latest competition - and this time there's two competitions!

I've always liked improving things I've written, and one thing that has always needed improvements, is the SBST (Spambot Search Tool). I used this to help me learn PHP and anyone that's looked at the code for more than 10 seconds will be able to determine this very easily. It badly needs a re-write and improvements (my work schedule amongst other things, has not surprisingly meant this has not happened to date, other than the odd bug fix etc here and there).

First and foremost;

Main Competition

What is up for grabs?

The prizes are;

1. Eset Smart Security licence (courtesy of my friends at Eset)
2. Paragon Software Hard Disk Manager 15 Professional (courtesy of my friends at Paragon Software)

There's only going to be one winner, no runner ups, it has to be the best (did I mention I hate spammers? - well so do the users of the SBST).

What do you need to do?

Yes I am rubbish at describing things, so here goes.

1, What you need to do is first, know PHP (the SBST is written in PHP and MUST run on Windows and Linux). Sorry folks.
2. Improve the SBST (there's a lot that needs improvements (moving the fSpamlist checks to the newer JSON format for example), including basic things like it's database creation functionality)
3. ALL improvements must be as dependency free as possible, and support PHP v4 (yes I know, but some users are using idiotic hosting companies that really should know better!) to v5.6.6
4. Code must be as "newbie friendly" as possible (to allow ANYONE to implement it)
5. Improvements MUST support the existing database and non-database options (some hosts don't allow the creation of databases)
6. Must NOT use client-side scripting for the main browser UI
7. Should be compatible with the existing mods ( viewforum.php?f=69 )

Bonus (optional)

Here's the bonus kicker - most antispam scripts are NOT pro-active, they're RE-active (the SBST included). I've always wanted the SBST to actively hunt down spammers (remember the spamvertised guestbooks, forums etc? It's still happening, as if you did not know that). Those able to include this, will not just win the first two - they'll get a bonus prize!.

Note: Submissions will be released with the same licence currently used ( http://opensource.org/licences/MIT ), the winner will of course, be listed in the credits that are displayed at the bottom of the main UI (e.g. http://fspamlist.com/checkspammers )

Secondary Competition

Not surprisingly, there's also a logo needed as the SBST previously used the hpHosts logo (you've seen my sites right? so you know I am rubbish at graphics).

You can use any format you like (PNG, GIF etc) and again, the winner will be credited for this.

The winner will receive a licence for Paragon Software', Hard Disk Manager 15 Suite.

As per previous competitions, send your entries to;

competitions@it-mate.co.uk

With the subject:

hpHosts April 2015 Competition

Ensure to mention which of the two competitions you are entering

You DO NOT need to be a member of these forums to enter - I like open (I mentioned that, right?).

The closing date for the competition is July 31st. Entries after this date will not be accepted.

Disclaimer:

Only the details necessary for the prizes registration, will be provided to the vendors responsible for the software included in the prizes. The winner will be announced both here and in the blog (without your personal information obviously, unless you explicitly say otherwise).

If you have any questions regarding this competition, please feel free to ask.

Attachments:
File comment: Spambot Search Tool v0.58
Check_Spammers.zip [48.84 KiB]
Downloaded 522 times

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]