Check Website
Inclusion Status
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: index.dat files remain after reboot Windows XP.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:21 am 
Great program, tried many b4 I settled on this one.

Got it running on my Dell and found that I think there was some conflict with Spysweeper. Not sure why since your program runs a bat file prior to loading of such programs.... But it works.

However on my other computer also running Windows XP HOME version, the index.dat files are not being deleted from my administrator directory. Getting standard message to the effect of: another program has access to them. Thus it was not relinquishing access. I disabled Spysweeper but still no luck but it should not matter anyway.
I see no conflict but the files are not being deleted.

I assume you are asked this same question time and time again. Thanks for any help.
Looked at logs but perhaps am looking in wrong place. Looked at Process Explorer. Cannot find what is holding these files hostage.
But again, you are running a BAT file prior to full loading of Windows startup or some inherent Services I believe.

Sincerely
Peter

IP:

Post subject: Re: index.dat files remain after reboot Windows XP.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:43 am 
Site Admin

The main cause for this that I've come across are;

1. The batch file is being ran when logging into a non-admin account
2. A security program is locking the files before the batch file has a chance to do anything
3. The explorer.exe process is loading too quickly (it is this process that locks the index.dat files)

Please first try switching to using the WinLogon method, instead of the default RunOnce, as this will try loading the batch file earlier in the boot process, and delay the explorer process until after the batch file has finished.

This setting can be changed at;

Tools > Settings > Batch File

Tick the option labelled;

Add file to WinLogon Shell registry key ...."

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:18 am 
Thanks for your kind reply. Perhaps this is happening since this machine is faster then a my precious machine where I got it to work ONLY after removing SpySweeper but I know that makes no sense.

This machine is a Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHZ.

I tried as you suggested and then did a search, generated batch file and rebooted.

Still had errors that file could not be accessed.

Any further ideas?

Thanks so much
Peter
North Carolina

IP:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:35 am 
Site Admin

The WinLogon option prevents explorer locking anything prior to the batch file finishing. Since the error is still occuring, we can rule this out, and if you are logging into an admin account, we can also rule out #1.

Unfortunately, this only leaves the possibility of a security program blocking it (though I'd be curious as to why as these file's are not essential to the system).

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:44 pm 
If I am understanding, you wonder why you can't delete the index.dat files ? Typically, you can't. There is either always a program such as Outlook using it, others using it and since it's always in use it's near impossible to delete manually. You will likely have to get a program to delete them because it will always be in use otherwise, plus it's just easier. You can do this manually too by creating a temporary user account with admin privs, but I hear it won't work for everyone. You may want to google for some free index.dat deleting tools. Remember , they are protected system files which is why they won't easily delete which is why the PC usually needs to be restarted and the index.dat files deleted before anything is using them.

Cheers,

Paul

IP:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:39 pm 
Yes figured that out after a while and doing some reading.
I do appreciate your reply though. I did try a few other programs and they too have a problem sometimes even on reboot. No problem. Sometimes I get on a subject and just like to explore it fully.

Have a nice day
Sincerely
Peter

IP:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:55 pm 
pcumming wrote:
Yes figured that out after a while and doing some reading.
I do appreciate your reply though. I did try a few other programs and they too have a problem sometimes even on reboot. No problem. Sometimes I get on a subject and just like to explore it fully.

Have a nice day
Sincerely
Peter

Glad to hear. And getting on a subject to explore it is how we learn. Wink

Cheers,

Paul

IP: