Inclusion Status
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Index.dat suite!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

romulus,
Thanks for dropping by.

When cleaning the Temp etc files, a new restore point is created (aslong as it's not been disabled), in order to save excess space usage by backing up the files and folders themselves. The restore point is named;

Index.dat Suite Restore Point [ Cleanup ]

When deleting the index.dat files, the backups are stored in the idbackup folder. A restoration option was never created for the index.dat files however as most generally don't back them up, let alone want to restore them. I can however, add this option for you if you'd like?

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:32 pm 
I feel measerable that I could not anticipate the complexity of changes in folders and files that miht preferably be taken manually, like the internet history, last docs, etc. We don't live any new day from one's zero level, right? - While the most advanced utility cleans up the whole hdd to the brim... Well, I'm perhaps too much conservative, but I'd prefere to make cleaning up manually if so. - In my personal case.

However, I'd be thankful if you could help me with recovering index.dat files from the backup folder. THX.

IP:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

I'll modify the backup routine in the next release, to allow restoration of the index.dat files (because these are in use while Windows is running, these files can only be restored via a re-boot).

In the meantime, you can restore the files by dropping to a command line outside of Windows (i.e. from the recovery console), and copying the files back to their respective folders (bfglog.log will tell you which files belong in which location).

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:18 am 
OK. There is seemingly no congruency or consistency between the available log file and the backup folder, alas. So, I'll have to make use of an index.dat viewer to manually proceed further. I can't neglect the 12.5 Mb of information formerly stored and related to my work.

IP:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:34 pm 
Seemingly, the backup collection of index.dat files has been a hard nut. I've tried the viewer from www.cleanersoft.com, but unfortunately I could not succeed in finding out which index.dat corresponds to the IE history column on the left side of the browser, and where is its original folder to be found. Well, can the index.dat suite be used as an index.dat file viewer for the backup collection or not? - THX.

IP:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

You can use IDS to view the files, yes. To do so, right click the file and select Send To > Index.dat Suite (if it's not already listed, click Browse to locate the IDSuite executable).

To identify them from the bfglog.log file, you need to look for entries such as the following;

Code:
07-05-2008 05:02:29 Adding command: copy "C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Burn\Cookies\index.dat" "C:\Program Files\Index.dat Suite\idbackup\07-05-2008\140502_index.dat"

This shows that the Cookies index.dat file, was backed up as 140502_index.dat in the 07-05-2008 folder. To restore it, it can be renamed to index.dat and put back in C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Burn\Cookies\.

Again, this file is in use when Windows is running, so it would need replaced outside of Windows. To do this, you could add the following into a batch file;

Code:
copy "C:\Program Files\Index.dat Suite\idbackup\07-05-2008\140502_index.dat" "C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Burn\Cookies\index.dat"

Then generate a batch file using Index.dat Suite (or manually) to have it added to the registry (to be ran when Windows was rebooted), and replace the commands, with the copy command to restore the file.

Keeping it FREE!

Last edited by MysteryFCM on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Note, if Index.dat Suite isn't in the Send To menu, you can select Open instead.

IP:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:36 am 
When I do install index.dat suit, does it start automatically with Windows and whether it will intervene into the index.dat files again? -- This would imply that I will never come to the initial stand of these files. - THX

IP:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

IDS will only load with Windows if you ask it to do so. In addition, the batch file that actually removes the files, will only load if asked to do so, they do not do this without the user requesting such.

If you want the files deleted each time the computer is re-started, there are options provided to have this done aswell Smile

Keeping it FREE!

IP: