Check Website
Inclusion Status
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: B Gone use in classroom environment
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:05 am 
Site Admin

asnider123 wrote:
Hi Steven, that looks really nice, I think we may have a winner here Laughing I will experiment the next couple of days on our network.

Regarding the lists and password folders: do they need to be drive-letter oriented or will a uri work (such as \\SERVER\FOLDER) .. I am assuming that, since I do not wish the students to be able to change the list or password files, I can make their folder as 'readonly'(?). I think that putting a separate logs folder on each student machine will sure simplify auditing. Besides, if several machines try to write to the log simultaneously, it will cause troubles.

Aslong as the program can read the black/white list files, write permission isn't required, and can be disabled on the client machines Smile (they'd need the password to access B Gone anyway)

asnider123 wrote:
So here is my plan of attack:

1. Copy B GONE.EXE to a read-only shared folder (entitled and shared as BGONE)
2. Run the program initially directly on the server, setting the lists and password folder to the BGONE folder, set the logs folder to 'C:\BLOGS'. Also check the first 4 on 'settings', as we are using EI7 with tabs on the student machines
3. On each student client, create the 'C:\BLOGS' folder to hold that machine's log files
4. Run 'B Gone.exe' on each student machine from the shared folder (\\server\bgone\b gone.exe)

I can't see any problems here Smile

asnider123 wrote:
Now, here are the only possible problems that come to mind:

1. Are there any required dll's or ocx's or anything else that the student machines must have in order for it to run?

There are, yes. Each machine will need the following file in the %systemroot%\system32 folder;

mscomctl.ocx

This is included in the setup, so can be copied from your current installation. I've also attached a copy here for you Smile

asnider123 wrote:
2. You know how particular servers can be: is it necessary to have that space in the program file name? If it is renamed to 'bgone.exe', will it still work properly?

The program will work regardless of it's filename Smile

asnider123 wrote:
3. Will the 'Run with Windows Startup' run on the student machines, even though the program is on the server? Or will I need to add the program to the login script and remove the checkmark in 'settings'?

This should work as normal as it will still actually be running on the machine and thus, should access the users registry. However, it uses the HKLM registry hive, and not the HKCU hive, so adding it through the login script would be a better option (via a group policy login script is ideal as users should never have access to the GP settings and thus, should not be able to disable the autostart manually).

asnider123 wrote:
4. I assume that, each time a new webpage is requested, the student client will re-read the black/white lists, they are small so it shouldn't be a big problem, will it?

This shouldn't be a problem, no.

asnider123 wrote:
5. If I use the 'hidden' tray icon mode, will it cause any difficulties? I would like to hide them on the student mahcines, but not on the server, how can this happen?

Hiding the tray should work just fine. Smile

asnider123 wrote:
Again, thanks so much for your assistance, I will be experimenting with it for the next couple of days and let you know how it works out.

Alan in Oklahoma

No problem at all. As mentioned, I've not got the facilities for checking this, so if you encounter any issues, let me know and I'll sort them out Smile

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:20 am 
Hi Steven,

Quick question: If I hide the icon, it will be hidden on all machines, right? How would I bring up the B Gone options on the server when I want to make changes?

Also, does mscomctl.ocx need to be in the system32 on each machine, or will it work if placed in the same folder as bgone.exe? If it is already present in the system32 folder, will it need to be replaced with your version. We are using Win Server 2003 and XP Pro on the clients.

Sorry, I don't mean to be an annoyance, just want to get it right the first time Laughing

Alan

IP:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Not an annoyance at all Wink

To make changes from the server, just load B Gone, aslong as it's running on the clients, from the server, it should affect them all when saved.

If you set B Gone to hide the icon, it will hide it on all machines it's running on Smile

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:32 am 
MysteryFCM wrote:
Not an annoyance at all Wink

If you set B Gone to hide the icon, it will hide it on all machines it's running on Smile

But I am not sure how I bring up the options menu on the server if I cannot see my icon. Is there a trick? Thanks
===================
addendum
Never mind, I was reading other posts and saw your post on using the F9 key, question answered, thanks

IP:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

hehe no problem Smile

Keeping it FREE!

IP: