Check Website
Inclusion Status
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: January 2008 - Win a Ruby In Steel Text licence!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Though this is coming a little late (lack of time has meant it had to be), January is a special month as it see's in the next year, and in honor of another special month, I've managed to secure a special prize for you Smile.

The Prize

Normally I'd just describe the prize to you, and include a linky to the developer/company that donated it. This time however, you can read all about it in Huws article below.

Ruby On Rails with Visual Studio For Under $50!
http://www.bitwisemag.com/2/Ruby-On-Rai ... ual-Studio

In short, the prize is a licence for Ruby In Steel Text Edition by SaphireSteel Software, courtesy of my friend Huw Collingbourne at Bitwise Mag. This is a great prize not only for existing developers, but also for those wishing to create their own applications with ease Smile

So what do you need to do?

Well, we've already had caption competitions and graphics competitions, so this time is a little different.

Instead of the usual, this time all you need to do is write a few paragraphs (3-4) that includes your views on;

1. Your views on Internet Security and how you stay safe online
2. Your views on how the security community can educate those that are not as savvy, to help them keep their computers clean, and avoid malware
3. Your views on e-mail spam and how you think the internet community could reduce the amount we've been seeing and reading about over the past few years
4. What you feel will be the biggest security challenges for 2008

The Rules

Lets keep this simple as always;

1. Keep it clean
2. DO NOT try turning your entry into a marketing opportunity (links to programs you use are fine, but links that resemble affiliate links, will result in your entry being disqualified)
3. DO NOT try to turn this into an opportunity to argue or insult other companies or users (e.g. Microsoft/IE bashing will NOT be tolerated)
4. Only one entry per person will be accepted
5. Entrants MUST be registered on this forum (entries submitted elsewhere or via e-mail, will not be accepted). You don't even have to be an hpHosts user!

Submitting Your Entry

To submit your entry simply reply to this thread with your entries!

Closing Date: Wednesday February 6th 2008

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

Last edited by MysteryFCM on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fixed BBCode typo

IP:

Post subject: Re: January 2008 - Win a Ruby In Steel Text licence!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:23 pm 
Very Happy Linux. Very Happy

IP:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

lol there's always one ........... Linux isn't immune Wink

Keeping it FREE!

IP:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:13 am 
1. Your views on Internet Security and how you stay safe online

To start, I would like to say, always get security updates for your PC and browser or any other security tools which applies to everything I mention in the latter..

My view on Internet Security is simply this, we need it. There is no question about it. There are many threats out there that are very real and should be taken very seriously. There are numerous people every day, every minute, who get viruses, trojans, malware, personal information taken, and many other threats. Being someone who has cleaned peoples' computers for 11 years, I know just how nasty the internet can be without proper precautions\security measures. Some steps that I take are these..

1. Don't even attempt the internet without a firewall.Even if on a shared network w\o internet on your end but the other pc has internet, if you are connected, you can get infected.

2. Make sure you have anti-virus. Other software as HPhosts and others.

3. Don't download from untrusted sources although, downloads are not always required to infect a PC so other steps must still be taken. Don't browse sites that can be dangerous, use your best judgement. Along with this, some site blockers\rating softwares can help notify\warn you if a site is malicious. Here is an example of a free site helper which rates the sites before you browse.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/ff_preinstall.html

4. And of course self teaching or asking someone who does know about internet security can be a big step. Educating yourself will not do away with needing security but makes it much more tolerable. Even with a site rating\blocker, they are not perfect and your knowledge is the biggest security shield.

2. Your views on how the security community can educate those that are not as savvy, to help them keep their computers clean, and avoid malware

Educating the not so savvy isn't always easy and many times, they remain without the knowledge until something bad happens which of course causes them to learn the hard way. I have tried to do my part by a number of ways, usually through forums like Cnet, answering specific questions and giving my best opinion. Along with this, I always mention securities no matter what the PC issue is and many times have gotten people to truly look at what they have to protect themselves. I also mention it to anyone who I am having a technical conversation with and many times they are prepared, but the few who weren't I at least feel I've helped. When I repair a PC at home, I will always make sure the customer knows what security software does and to make sure they have it and keep it. The non-savvy don't always take our words for it and pointing them to other sources help justify what you say. And patience for the non-savvy is a must. Remember, we weren't born with this knowledge either.

3. Your views on e-mail spam and how you think the internet community could reduce the amount we've been seeing and reading about over the past few years

Spam is another thing that has plagued all of us at one time or another. The problem seems to lie with how it's distributed and therefore stopping it at the source could take a very long time, if EVER. The no.1 helper in stopping spam is, "in my order"..

1. Never open or reply to a spam. This is how so many get taken in, they reply, fall for the content, or even if just to complain. If any email is supsicous, never open it.

2. Some email virus scanning tools and spam controls are very helpful by regulating what gets to your inbox or not.

3. Don't visit sites or sign up on sites that are not trustworthy or will use your private information to 3rd parties that will spam you. So in other words, DO NOT give our private info unless it's an absolute trusted site\source. Even then, precaution is a must.

4. An email or ISP service with good anti-spam tools.

There is a reporting site for spams as well... http://www.ftc.gov/spam/

Of course nothing is fool proof and to stop spam currently is almost impossible as it comes from so many sources which most often cannot be tracked due to being a temporary or fake souce or sadly, isn't worth the money it would cost to bring down every spam source. While this can be delved into much deeper, I feel the bottom line right now is the user can only arm themselves with knowledge of spam, common sense and some tools as mentioned above. To truly reduce the amount is to ignore and report. What I mean by ignore is to not give "wanted" attention to spam, this and information are exactly what they are looking for.

4. What you feel will be the biggest security challenges for 2008

The biggest security challenges for 2008 will be ever changing malware, viruses and the usual. However, phishing, and scams are becoming "in my opinion" more of a threat that those pesky viruses. There is something that remains a threat and I feel will only get worse.

It's called XSRF in which someone who is in contact with you can hit you with this false link\page they send you and steal your information. The bad part is, it doesn't need to be installed on your pc or anything. If you have chatted with someone for a long time, this person may be considered a friend. So if you are doing some online banking, chatting with your cyber buddy, and they send you a link to some page, knowing you are doing your banking, you open it and they are accessing your info from under your nose and you have no idea it's happening. Scary? Yes it is and has happened quite often but seems to have been behind the trojan\virus\malware shadow. I think this will definately begin to grow seeing how communications have grown and access to eachother is easier than ever before. Just as with so many other occurances of false security sites, etc.. people are giving away info and falling for scams, this to me is the largest threat we face today and will get worse for 2008.

Paul

IP:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Just over two weeks left to get your entry in folks!

Keeping it FREE!

IP:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:08 am 
Site Admin

This is gonna be extremely easy to choose the winner ......... c'mon guys, give him some competition!

Only 4 days left to get your entry in folks!

Keeping it FREE!

IP:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:46 am 
I don't think I could say it much better than gimpguy did. Smile

IP:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 am 
I think gimpguy said it all very well.

IP:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:33 am 
Site Admin

This competition has now ended ...........

Keeping it FREE!

IP:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]