Check Website
Inclusion Status
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Please submit sites to be removed to this thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Please submit sites to be removed from hpHOSTS to this thread including the reason for removal.

Please review our Submission Criteria and Posting Rules for the HOSTS Inbox and HOSTS Outbox Forums prior to posting your removal request.

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
 Post subject: Re: Please submit sites to be removed to this thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:16 pm 

Code:
ehow.com
www.ehow.com

IP:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Removed, cheers :)

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:22 pm 

Hope I'm doing this right. I read the submission rules, please let me know if I did this wrong.

"Note: Removal requests will only be accepted by site owners, individuals or trusted sources."

I'm just an individual, after loading the host file I couldn't get to my local news page. I changed it in my host file, but figured I'd bring it up here.

www . witn . com is the site for Channel 7 News, a local NBC affiliate based in Washington, NC.

WITN7 TV
P.O. Box 468 / Hwy. 17 S
Washington, NC 27889

Main: (252) 946-3131
General email witn@witn . com

IP:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Sorry for the delay. The site has now been removed.

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:28 pm 

Code:
www.archive.org

Why the "wayback machine" is blacklisted? That service is much useful imho...
Maybe it's blacklisted since it could archive bad websites too ?

IP:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

sorry for the delay Paul, the site has been removed.

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:41 pm 

hpHosts breaks the DNS Client! For some time, I've been unable to use hpHosts from HostsMan. I thought it might take a binary search method to find the offending part of your file; but once I actually decided to do it, on a hunch, I found out that the offending part is the line that reads:

Code:
::1 localhost

When this line is in a HOSTS file on Windows 7, if you have the DNS Client enabled, browsers can no longer resolve domain names. If you try to stop the DNS Client (and it has seen the new HOSTS file), attempting to stop the service takes an inordinately long time; during which the Internet is unavailable. While you may be thinking, "Well, why not just use the DNS server that the people who make HostsMan put out? It's much more efficient." That's true, but it was buggy last time I tried to use it, and so I elected to not use it; BEFORE I found out the true cost of using it for those on router networks.

If you are on e.g. a home network, like myself (not to mention a work network), you probably want Network Discovery active. That way, you can e.g. see the other shares and printers on the network, if those sharing options are active as well. If you have the M$ DNS Client disabled or otherwise stopped, even if you are using the AbelHADigital replacement for it, Network Discovery no longer works. Thus, so long as that line is in your HOSTS file and the Internet works, one will not have Network Discovery. Now, since you graciously have a HostsMan optimized file posted, but since HostsMan works only under Windows (possibly Wine?), one cannot use the file you post on Win7, a prime OS for using a HostsMan optimized file, so long as that line exists - if one wants to use Network Discovery too. I strongly urge the removal of the above line from the HostsMan optimized file, if not all of them; since they all may used on Win7, and it breaks the DNS Client which is required for Network Discovery. Linux users should be able to devise means to add this line back if they find it important.

BTW: You ought to indicate if the HostsMan optimized file includes the hpHosts partial entries or not.

Update: When I remove that line, I do find that with hpHosts, even on a reasonably modern computer, the Internet takes a while to be usable when I start my computer. One of the guys at AbelHADigital says that the unresponsiveness I get out of the DNS client is due to it taking a long time to load the HOSTS file, but when that line was in, time after time, with that line present, I either had no connectivity, or it took so long to read that I came to that conclusion; whereas with that line, Internet access was near instantaneous when I started the DNS client. When I reboot, it takes 3-5 min. to let me on the 'Net, but I suppose the extra protection is worth it.

IP:
 Post subject: ak.imgag.com
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:16 am 

Code:
ak.imgag.com

"ak.imgag.com" is used to display images at "americangreetings.com" and "bluemountain.com":

http://www.americangreetings.com/ecards/thank-you-ecards?navtype=dropdown

http://www.bluemountain.com/ecards/thank-you

Code:
demandware.edgesuite.net

"demandware.edgesuite.net" is used to display images/graphics at "motorola.com":

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/home

Code:
http://jpshortstuff.247fixes.com/SystemLook.html

"jpshortstuff.247fixes.com" links to the "systemlook" tool, which is used, in some cases, in removing malware.. apparently it links to some other similar tools, as well:

http://jpshortstuff.247fixes.com/SystemLook.html

maybe that is how it got added? some of the tools were erroneously flagged as being malware?

http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=jpshortstuff.247fixes.com&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=1

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/6feec0200e7ffd37deb5076ca7ed43327bb23cf0961d7164b1e6137fe7881b4f/analysis/1368151884/

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=jpshortstuff.247fixes.com

i see that "jpshortstuff.247fixes.com" is hosted at "Hetzner", which is not good, in my book..

IP:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Cheers guys.

Yep, jpshortstuff.247fixes.com definitely should not have been added.

With regards to "::1 localhost", whilst I've still been unable to reproduce this issue, it will be removed from the next update.

The Optimized file, does not include the partial updates, these are provided separately (via the dedicated partial file) as the optimized file is only updated at the same time as the primary file, whereas the partial file is updated multiple times daily.

Keeping it FREE!

IP:
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]