Official hpHosts Support Forums
https://forum.hosts-file.net/

Why is eatthis.com in the list? Was its addition a mistake?
https://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5745
Page 1 of 1

Author:  wijj () [ Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Why is eatthis.com in the list? Was its addition a mistake?

A few weeks ago a site I visit (http://www.eatthis.com/) showed up on hpHosts.

I've been going to eatthis.com off and on for a while and never noticed anything bad about the site. I was wondering if its addition to the list was a mistake (ie., it shouldn't be in the list) or whether there is info I'm unaware of about why it was added to the list.

Author:  TeMerc () [ Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is eatthis.com in the list? Was its addition a mista

wijj wrote:
A few weeks ago a site I visit (http://www.eatthis.com/) showed up on hpHosts.

I've been going to eatthis.com off and on for a while and never noticed anything bad about the site. I was wondering if its addition to the list was a mistake (ie., it shouldn't be in the list) or whether there is info I'm unaware of about why it was added to the list.

EDIT:
Apologies, this site is listed as an ad server
https://hosts-file.net/default.asp?s=eatthis.com

However, it does not look too legit at all, plenty of questionable ads and articles, looks scammy to me.

Author:  wijj () [ Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is eatthis.com in the list? Was its addition a mista

TeMerc wrote:
wijj wrote:
A few weeks ago a site I visit (http://www.eatthis.com/) showed up on hpHosts.

I've been going to eatthis.com off and on for a while and never noticed anything bad about the site. I was wondering if its addition to the list was a mistake (ie., it shouldn't be in the list) or whether there is info I'm unaware of about why it was added to the list.

EDIT:
Apologies, this site is listed as an ad server
https://hosts-file.net/default.asp?s=eatthis.com

However, it does not look too legit at all, plenty of questionable ads and articles, looks scammy to me.


Yes, I'm aware it was listed as an ad server. This is what led to my post. The site is not an ad server. It's had some articles I've read and found useful. Are you saying that because the site hosts "questionable ads" amongst its articles it get categorized as an "Ad server"? This is essentially what I'm asking. Was this site legitimately categorized as an ad server or was it a mistake.

What exactly are "questionable ads"? I see no evidence that the site is hosting malware or anything on the hpHosts query page. It's unclear to me why a site would be blocked for some specific ads it is hosting. If the site/ads were found distributing malware or something, that would be a good reason, but is that happening? I'm trying to understand. Perhaps there is a good reason for blocking the site I'm not aware of. I'm not seeing a reason though and was hoping someone might direct me to it.

Author:  TeMerc () [ Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Why is eatthis.com in the list? Was its addition a mista

wijj wrote:
TeMerc wrote:
wijj wrote:
A few weeks ago a site I visit (http://www.eatthis.com/) showed up on hpHosts.

I've been going to eatthis.com off and on for a while and never noticed anything bad about the site. I was wondering if its addition to the list was a mistake (ie., it shouldn't be in the list) or whether there is info I'm unaware of about why it was added to the list.

EDIT:
Apologies, this site is listed as an ad server
https://hosts-file.net/default.asp?s=eatthis.com

However, it does not look too legit at all, plenty of questionable ads and articles, looks scammy to me.


Yes, I'm aware it was listed as an ad server. This is what led to my post. The site is not an ad server. It's had some articles I've read and found useful. Are you saying that because the site hosts "questionable ads" amongst its articles it get categorized as an "Ad server"? This is essentially what I'm asking. Was this site legitimately categorized as an ad server or was it a mistake.

What exactly are "questionable ads"? I see no evidence that the site is hosting malware or anything on the hpHosts query page. It's unclear to me why a site would be blocked for some specific ads it is hosting. If the site/ads were found distributing malware or something, that would be a good reason, but is that happening? I'm trying to understand. Perhaps there is a good reason for blocking the site I'm not aware of. I'm not seeing a reason though and was hoping someone might direct me to it.

Apologies for the delayed response, the site has been removed from the database and will be reflected in the next hpHosts update.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/